Friday, October 12, 2012

Chick Pea & Spinach Saute with Israeli Couscous

Another quick and easy pantry-staple, throw together meal, the ease with which this comes together certainly doesn't detract from it's tastiness. I like to save my more complicated recipes (read: time consuming) for my days off when I have the luxury of lingering in the kitchen to play. On mornings before work, I prefer to put together something a little less complicated but without compromising flavor. This particular dish fits the bill because, again, I always have the necessary components in my pantry/fridge/freezer and it only takes about 15 minutes to cook... just enough time for the coffee to brew while the dog is playing in the backyard. I suppose this would work just as well with lentils or brown rice as opposed to the couscous, but I was going for speed this morning; the couscous won. ;)

Chick Pea & Spinach Saute with Israeli Couscous

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup of onion, diced (from the freezer, remember?)
6 ounces of spinach (fresh or frozen)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbs. parsley (I don't always have fresh, so the dry stuff is perfectly fine)
1 (15.5 ounce) can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh basil, torn (yes, fresh really is better here)

1 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
1 cup of Israeli couscous (I like the sturdier texture as compared to regular couscous)

Directions:
In a large saute pan, cook the onions and spinach over medium-low heat until the onions have softened and the spinach has wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Drop the heat to low before adding in the nutmeg, parsley, and chick peas. Continue to cook until chick peas are warmed through, about 3-5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring the water or stock to a boil before stirring in the couscous. Cover and simmer on low for 8-10 minutes, until all of the liquid has been absorbed.

Toss the couscous with the chick pea & spinach mixture, and finish with the fresh basil.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment