Monday, October 22, 2012

Easy Mexican Lasagna

This dish couldn't have been any simpler to put together. Why? Well, that's probably because I had ALL of the ingredients sitting in the fridge, leftover from yesterday's football-watching snacks.

Like many of the dishes I make, it can be made as an individual size meal (like I did today), or it translates well into a larger casserole to feed a crowd. You'll notice that I don't list quantities on the ingredients for that very reason; it should be done to taste.


Easy Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients:
black beans (kidney beans would be good too)
salsa (whatever your favorite kind is, and as hot as you like it)
pinch of chili powder
pinch of cumin
pinch of cilantro
tortillas (I had whole wheat ones in the fridge, but corn tortillas would be just as tasty)
shredded cheese (I usually have a Mexican blend in the fridge, but plain ol' cheddar or jack cheese would work too)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a saute pan over medium-low heat, cook the beans and salsa until just warmed through, about 5 minutes. I suppose you could do this in a microwave, but since I don't have a microwave (gasp!), I do everything on the stove top. Once the bean mixture is warmed through, it's just a matter of layering the ingredients to create the lasagna. Because I went with my trusty individual-size casserole dish, I used a pair of kitchen shears to cut the tortillas into smaller rounds to fit my dish.

To build the lasagna, spoon 1/3 of the bean mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with 1 tortilla (for larger casserole dishes, you can sort of shingle the tortillas to create one layer) then sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese. Spoon on another 1/3 of the bean mixture, top with another tortilla, then top THAT with the rest of the bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes (cook time would be closer to 20-25 minutes for a larger casserole). Sprinkle on more cheese and return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cool slightly to let things set before digging in.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment