Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer Squash Sauté

Every time I make this dish, I think about the summer of '97 leading into my senior year of college. My best friends and I had sublet a house off campus for the first time and it was all I could do to afford my part of the rent. Fortunately for me, there was a small farm stand within walking distance so I didn't starve that summer; instead, I ate a whole lot of inexpensive produce and pasta. This combination, by far, was my favorite and my definite go-to since there was ALWAYS squash, zucchini, and tomatoes available. You'd think after eating so much of this stuff I'd be sick of it, but honestly, it's just so damn good I don't think I'll EVER be tired of it. Plus, it's easy enough to switch things up a bit by adding different spices and herbs and you can make it in any quantity. This weekend, I made a large pan of it to serve with grilled chicken, so today I tossed the leftovers with pasta for a quick dinner to pack for work.

Summer Squash Sauté

Ingredients:
olive oil
sweet onion, diced (my preference here is a vidalia onion)
yellow squash, sliced
zucchini, sliced
tomatoes, diced (fresh is best when they're in peak season, but canned are just as good)
dried herbs: basil, parsley, oregano, thyme (whatever you've got in your spice cabinet)
pinch of sugar (balances out the acidity of the tomatoes)
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Saute the onion in olive oil for 1-2 minutes before tossing in the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat until the vegs are softened but haven't lost their color, about 5-7 minutes. Serve as a stand alone dish, a side dish, or toss with cooked pasta.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment