Sunday, September 28, 2014

Lentil & Sausage "Stew"

"stalking" his prey...
Yes, I realize that the last recipe I posted was another lentil favorite... but this time of year, the produce available just screams to paired with lentils of any variety. ;)  Besides, if you don't like it, you can just go read something else... lentil hater. *shakes head sadly*

I suppose this would work well as a soup if you added much more liquid than I used, but I really like the texture of this dish as is; just enough liquid that you need to use a spoon instead of a fork. Maybe "stew" isn't quite the right word, but I'm going to stick with it unless someone has a better suggestion.

Even Micha was desperate to get his face into my bowl, so I must have done something right with this particular lentil recipe... because everybody knows that a cat has an incredibly discerning palate, um, right?


Lentil & Sausage "Stew"

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced (canned with the juice would be good too)
2 links hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed, crumbled
1/2 cup of lentils (I used just plain ol' brown lentils)
2 cups of liquid (I used chicken stock 'cause I already had an open carton)
1 cup butternut squash, diced (pulled straight from the freezer this time)
2 cups of kale, torn (I usually have this in the freezer, too, but used fresh today)
splash of acid of choice (lemon juice, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar) *optional
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
... going in for the kill...
In a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, saute the vegs (except kale & squash) in olive oil until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the turkey sausage and cook for another 4-6 minutes or until the sausage is mostly browned and the vegs have softened further. Stir in the lentils and liquid of choice, cover, and reduce heat to a low. Simmer on low until most of the liquid has absorbed, about 20-25 minutes, before adding the butternut squash, kale, salt & pepper. Cover slightly, and simmer for another 8-10 minutes. By this time, nearly all of the liquid should be absorbed. Add a splash of something to brighten the flavor- I used a shot of red wine vinegar- remove from the heat, and allow to stand, covered for at least 10 minutes before diving in... licking the bowl clean is definitely recommended, but optional I guess.

Enjoy!

*Cook's Note: These lentils were even better the next day! The remaining liquid had all but completely absorbed, making the lentils super creamy in texture. Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment