Monday, December 15, 2014

Tuna Noodle Casserole-ish

I say -ish because this isn't your mother's tuna noodle casserole... or at least, it's not MY mother's tuna noodle casserole. ;)

I've mentioned before that I grew up with a stay-at-home mother who had dinner on the table for the family every night like clockwork. Being a single income family, we tended to eat a lot of budget friendly meals of what I refer to as All American Classics. Tuna noodle casserole was one of those dishes that made a regular appearance and I have to admit that I still like it, although my version is very different from my mother's recipe. To be fair, she followed a pretty standard recipe which included canned tuna, canned cream-of-mushroom soup, milk, peas, and egg noodles. Mine? A wee bit different... more like a homemade mac & cheese with tuna and veggies; much more flavorful, and a whole hell of a lot healthier. Making a roux will thicken the sauce and you can get away with using only a small amount of milk (dairy or non-dairy, dealer's choice) because of the creamy cheeses used. Cooking the pasta directly in the sauce (using a mixture of broth and water to give it room to groove) releases starch which further thickens the sauce. The addition of the veggies is just good nutrition... not to mention pretty tasty.

Tuna Noodle Casserole-ish

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. butter
1 lg. shallot, diced
2 cups steamed cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 Tbs. AP flour
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper, to taste
2 Tbs. milk (I used plain soy milk cause that's what I have in the fridge)
1 cup broth (chicken or veggie works well and I usually have an open carton in the fridge)
1 cup water
4 oz. dried pasta (I used medium whole wheat shells)
4 Tbs. neufchatel (that's the lighter version of cream cheese)
1/4 cup ricotta cheese (I used the part-skim kind cause that's what I have in the fridge)
1 (5-ounce) can of tuna packed in water
2 oz. extra sharp white cheddar cheese, finely grated (because I used such a small amount of cheese, I wanted to use a strongly flavored one)
2 cups steamed broccoli florets, roughly chopped
2/3 cup steamed edamame, shelled, roughly chopped
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking dish by spraying with cooking spray and set aside. And yes, I used my old-school Corelle baking dish that I've had for 20+ years. ;)

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the shallot and cauliflower in butter until slightly soft, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and spices, stirring to coat, and continue cooking for another minute to cook out the raw flour taste before adding the liquids and dried pasta. Raise heat slightly to bring the mixture to a simmer, then stir in the neufchatel, ricotta, and tuna (with the water it's packed in). Continue to simmer until the pasta has absorbed 75% of the liquid, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar, edamame, and broccoli. Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with panko bread crumbs. Spritz the top with more cooking spray (of course, you could use melted butter or olive oil but I wanted to keep this on the healthier side of things) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the remainder of the liquid has been mostly absorbed and casserole is set. Great straight from the oven, and even better as leftovers.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment