Saturday, June 27, 2009

Quick Fix Workday Breakfast


Most workdays, I'm up way before the butt crack of dawn so I can get to work by 6:30am. As such, I'm definitely not interested in trying to fix something to eat before I leave the house because quite frankly, I'm not awake enough to even contemplate it let alone actually prepare something. To get around this situation, I usually make something the night before that's relatively easy to take with me to work. However, on Saturdays, I don't have to be to work until 9:00am so I'm usually mostly coherent and cognizant of my surroundings so I'm able to fix something to eat before I leave the house. Notice I said mostly... give me a break. I've never been a morning person and I never will be. Anyway, today I had what I like to call an "Inside-Out Omelet"... aka loaded scrambled eggs where anything goes. Here's today's version:


Ingredients:

eggs
chicken breast, diced or shredded
diced sauteed veg (shallot, red bell pepper, zucchini, carrot, celery)
spinach
goat cheese

I know, weird combination of ingredients. But I had the sauteed veg leftover from when I made my mini-meatloaf earlier in the week (made for a very moist turkey meatloaf!) and I always have spinach on hand. As for the chicken, if I don't have left over stuff in the fridge, well I always have a package of the pre-cooked chicken strips which are great to toss in salads. Anyway, you can change this up a million different ways... this is just what I had handy this morning.

So in a small saute pan over medium heat, toss all the veggies and chicken in to reheat for 2-3 minutes. Pour the beaten eggs (I used my Garden Vegetable Egg Beaters again, about the equivalent of 2 eggs) over the mixture and continue to cook until eggs are set, another 2-3 minutes. To serve, remove from heat and stir in your favorite cheese. Most importantly, don't forget to share the last few bites with the dog. :)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I certainly enjoyed it... just wish I'd had time to enjoy a cup of coffee with it!

    ReplyDelete