Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Forgotten Art Of Packing A Lunch


A highly under-utilized and understated talent to be sure, the ability to pack a lunch can turn the Everyman into something extraordinary in the eyes of his contemporaries.

I almost always pack my meals because, quite frankly, I'd rather eat something I've prepared myself than to order greasy take out with the rest of the non-culinary minded kids I work with. For this very reason, I'm envied by a good number of my co-workers during lunch breaks because I'm not at the mercy of a slow delivery driver that eats into my break time when the food isn't delivered in 30 minutes or less to coincide with my assigned meal time. Or better yet, I never have to wonder if my sandwich is made correctly or if the bread will be soggy by the time it reaches me. A little planning and well-timed execution, and I have a beautiful, envy-worthy lunch waiting on me, not the other way around.

Take, for example, my food from today: I know that I work a double on Tuesdays, so I make sure to plan my meals accordingly. Today, I strategically packed a leftover stuffed chicken breast with some mixed grilled veggies. Both tasty and pleasing to the eye. To go along with this, I had a gorgeous bunch of red grapes. Complete, nutritious, and yummy... what more could a girl ask for? I also made sure to have something quick and easy in case I was rushed for either lunch or dinner: a Kashi veggie pocket, an ounce of cheese, an apple, and a small container of peanuts with dark chocolate covered dried plums. And I do this nearly every single day because I like to plan ahead and think about what I'll eat the next day; it makes the meal that much more appealing and tasty in my opinion. I may not have the time or inclination to get into the kitchen every day (like Tuesdays when I work 16 hours... I have no desire to get cookin' when I get home after that shift), but when I do, I make the most of my time and plan ahead so that packing a lunch, or dinner as it were, is quick and effortless with the maximum effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment