Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Even though I took a major hiatus from posting new recipes- and, in fact, have actually moved to a new blog- I'm back and better than ever. (At least, in my humble opinion.) ;)

So where have I been? Well, I moved out of the ghetto to a much nicer neighborhood and a newly renovated house with a fantastic kitchen. I also have a new job which came with a consistent schedule (4pm-midnight) and I've finally settled into a comfortable routine which sees me playing in the kitchen every morning/early afternoon before work. And... with this great new kitchen, I have a renewed interest in pursuing my epicurean adventures and creating new recipes. Even more surprising (at least to ME), I've discovered a new found desire to bake. Why is this surprising? I'm a cook, NOT a baker. I don't like to follow recipes and even as I write my own recipes for friends, they come with the caveat that all measurements are more of a guestimation than anything else. Baking is more of a precise science which doesn't leave much room for experimentation and you actually have to follow the recipe and use exact measurements.

Or do you...?

To satisfy my need to experiment, as well as my defiant streak that doesn't like to follow a recipe, I like to make substitutions and try different add-ins with my baked goods. Plus, there's the added bonus of creating much more healthful recipes (lower in fat/sugar, higher in fiber and overall nutritional content) which goes a long way towards negating any guilt I feel about eating sweets.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt (I use fine sea salt)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (or go for broke and use an 8 oz bar, chopped)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare loaf pan(s) by spraying with cooking spray and lightly dusting with flour to prevent sticking. I like to use 2 of the 8"x3"x2" pans rather than 1 standard size loaf pan.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the wet ingredients: zucchini, vegetable oil, apple sauce, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together (or sift, if you prefer) the dry ingredients: flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don't over mix! Fold in the chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared loaf pan(s). Bake at 350 degrees for 50-65 minutes. Zucchini bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. Cool the bread in the pan(s) for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. This stuff freezes beautifully so I usually make a double batch and wrap 2 or 3 loaves in foil to freeze for another day (like I did in this photo).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment