Monday, August 17, 2009

Balsamic Linguini


Ok, I know I said in a previous post that I'm not a big pasta eater, but sometimes a girl has to take one for the team when her dinner guest is a picky eater. There's a reason why pasta and/or chicken dishes are served at many social events; almost everyone likes them. So, keeping that in mind, when a certain friend of mine finds himself at my house around dinner time I bow to his likes/dislikes and challenge myself to greater creativity with ingredients that are not necessarily my favorites. With this particular dish, I was pleasantly surprised to find I really enjoyed a pasta dinner.

Ingredients:

whole grain linguini (I definitely prefer the nutty taste of whole grain pasta to the old stuff)
Italian turkey sausage (I had a package of links in the freezer, otherwise I would have tossed in some of my go-to chicken breast strips)
extra virgin olive oil
sun dried tomatoes, julienned
balsamic vinegar (I used about 1/4 cup, but it all depends on how much sauce you're making)
fresh basil, torn
Parmesan cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind that the Parmesan is salty and the sausage may have a bite to it, depending on the brand you're using)

This is a quick, throw together at the last minute, dinner that can be prepared for any number of people. In a large pot, bring several quarts of water to a boil. Add a handful of sea salt and the pasta, cooking for 8-10 minutes or until al dente (follow package instructions). In a separate skillet, saute the Italian turkey sausage in about 1 Tbs of olive oil since turkey sausage is relatively low in fat. Once the meat is browned, add the sun dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Continue cooking over medium-low heat (until the pasta is done), allowing the the balsamic vinegar to reduce slightly and the tomatoes to plump up. Once the linguini is al dente, drain and then toss with about 1 Tbs. of olive oil before topping with the turkey sausage, tomatoes, and sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and fresh basil before serving.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I gained almost a pound looking at that dish!

    Thanks again for visiting Secret Story Time, please tell your friends to come on over and follow too.

    Thanks, Secretia

    ReplyDelete