Sunday, August 16, 2009

Country Hash In The City


So this is my version of a country hash recipe I saw on Food Network last week. Many of my favorite dishes are inspired by something I've seen on Food Network or in any number of foodie magazines I read each week/month. In this case, I made it my own with what I had on hand in my fridge and pantry. Y'all know how much I love a good breakfast/brunch, and this was certainly no exception. It's Sunday after all, so what better day to enjoy it?


Ingredients:

2 red potatoes, diced
mixed veg (I always have a huge selection of frozen veg on hand so this mix included red peppers, corn, and broccoli)
chicken breast, diced (like I've said before, those prepackaged chicken strips are amazingly versatile!)
1 egg, fried or poached (dealer's choice on the preparation, I went with the classic fried egg)
thyme (dried works as well as fresh here)
salt and pepper to taste

I used the same short cut that the semi-homemaker on Food Network used with her potatoes: In a microwave safe bowl covered by a damp paper towel, microwave the diced potatoes for 3 minutes or until barely fork tender. Now, you could of course use left over potatoes if you've got them, but I didn't so I started from fresh. Once the potatoes reach the desired texture, transfer them to a large skillet with some olive oil, and cook over medium-high heat for several minutes until golden brown. Toss in the mixed veg, chicken breast, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the rest of ingredients are heated through. Serve with the egg on top and a big glass of iced coffee on the side.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks quite healthy as well as good tasting.

    ReplyDelete