Monday, August 10, 2009

Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup


So you may have noticed I've been on hiatus from posting any new culinary adventures. If you read my other blog, you already know that I was diagnosed with Lyme disease 2 weeks ago. Before that diagnosis, I wasn't feeling very well for several weeks and one of the things affected was my appetite so I didn't do much cooking; I ate quite a few peanut butter sandwiches because I just didn't feel like anything else. My taste buds were also affected and some of my favorite foods (especially coffee... oh the horror!) tasted wrong, adding to my lack of interest in food.

But now that I've been on antibiotics for the Lyme infection, things are starting to get back to normal and I am once more venturing out to the kitchen in pursuit of good food. As a matter of fact, this soup was my first epicurean effort as I started to feel better... not bad, if I do say so myself.


Ingredients:

1 lb. beef, cubed (I had a package of stew meat in the freezer)
3 cups vegetable stock (I prefer the lighter taste of veg stock over beef stock, especially when it's prepared in a slow cooker)
3 medium red potatoes, diced
mixed veg (I had a bag of "soup vegetables" in the freezer- mix of carrots, onions, green beans, lima beans, okra, corn, and peas)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. herbes de Provence (any seasoning blend would be fine)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
salt to taste

In a 6 quart Crock Pot, start with the beef cubes and vegetable stock, cooking them on high for 4 hours. After 4 hours, tumble in the potatoes and check the level of liquid in the pot to make sure it still covers everything (add more stock if need be). Continue to cook on high for another hour before adding the rest of the ingredients. Once everything is in the pot, turn heat to low and let it simmer for another 1-2 hours before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment