Thursday, July 16, 2009

Broccoli With Breakfast


So today I had my morning free again since I'm scheduled to work the 2-close shift yet again. Because I accidentally went to bed rather early last night and dinner consisted of a piece of peanut butter toast with apple butter (that was just supposed to be my "after school" snack), I woke up absolutely starving this morning. I decided to go with one of my ever favorite breakfast foods... an omelet. Paired with a piece of cinnamon toast and coffee, this was fantastic if I do say so myself.


Ingredients:

2 eggs (or the equivalent of Garden Vegetable Egg Beaters like I usually use)
broccoli florets, steamed, diced (I always have broccoli in the freezer)
red bell pepper, roasted, diced (these were left over from some roasted veg I made the other night)
Canadian bacon, diced
goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste

I'm not going to go in to detail on how to prepare an omelet (it's easy and I've already described my technique in a previous post) so suffice it to say, whatever veggies you might have in the fridge or freezer make fantastic fodder for an omelet. As for the cinnamon toast, I simply spread some whole grain toast with Smart Balance then sprinkle on some cinnamon and Splenda. I used to love making cinnamon toast when I was a kid because it was so easy and one of the first things I can remember my grandmother letting me do by myself in the kitchen. To complement the toast, I put some ground cinnamon in the basket with the coffee before brewing so as to make my own flavored coffee. It smells fantastic as it brews and tastes even better!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment