Friday, July 10, 2009

Something Different For Breakfast


Because I typically work the early shift, I rarely eat breakfast at home except on my days off. On my days off I like to do it up right and go all out on breakfast/brunch and that usually involves a hardy meal with some sort of egg dish as the focal point (i.e. omelets). However, on the rare days where I don't have to go in to work until the afternoon like today, I'm not really in the mood to go all out with this first meal of the day. Today, I opted for something a little lighter, but just as satisfying and tasty. And it only required a minimum of fuss using Elle's kitchen staples...

Ingredients:

sliced peaches (I actually like to use the frozen kind because they're always sweet tasting)
blueberries
Splenda (the amount depends on how sweet the fruit is... and honey would be great here too)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
ricotta cheese
pinch of salt

In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, cook the peaches, blueberries, Splenda, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 4-6 minutes. Although I would prefer to use fresh fruit, depending on the season, the frozen version is sometimes better and easier to use instead. In any case, I always have a variety of frozen fruits in the freezer because there are just so many applications for them. Anyway, I don't bother to defrost the fruit, just toss it in the pan still frozen, and as it heats up any excess moisture will just cook down into an almost syrupy sauce. Basically, I made a warm compote with a hint of spice in the background. In the meantime, I whipped some ricotta cheese with a pinch of Splenda and a pinch of salt, then mounded it in the middle of a bowl. Once the compote reached the desired consistency, I poured it around the ricotta and topped it with another sprinkle of cinnamon. Serve with a piece of peanut butter toast on the side, and you've got a complete breakfast in less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment