Sunday, July 19, 2009

Burger Creativity For The Lazy


Last night I found myself craving a good old fashioned cheeseburger and fries, but I didn’t feel like going out again in search of one or the proper ingredients to make one. Now, I usually have some sort of ground meat in the freezer and I just happened to have some lean ground sirloin on hand this time. We all know that the leaner the beef, the drier the burger, so I decided to get a little creative with my very lean beef and add in some diced turkey bacon… a sort of bacon cheeseburger with the bacon built right in adding both flavor and moisture. Then I figured, since I’m putting the bacon directly into the meat, why not put the cheese in there as well? So there you have it, my latest version of a bacon cheeseburger. Only problem was, I didn’t have any regulation hamburger buns or my favorite toppings like lettuce or tomatoes. And I had to nix the fries because I didn’t have any sweet potatoes left. *sigh* This is where me being lazy really caused me to get creative with this burger masterpiece…


Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground beef
3 pieces of turkey bacon, diced
(I suppose real bacon would be fine… if you like that sort of greasy stuff)
1 oz. cheddar, diced (I also like to melt a slice on the finished burger)
garlic powder
onion powder
pepper
choice of delivery system
(bun, bread, pita, wrap)
choice of toppings (I like ketchup and dill pickle chips)

In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, turkey bacon, and cheddar, mixing just to combine. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties, pressing your thumb in the center to form a shallow dip (like a Life Saver). Set aside to rest and allow to come to room temperature (room temperature beef cooks more evenly) while you preheat a grill pan over medium heat.

*Note: If you’re one of those people that like to grill in any kind of weather, I don’t need to tell you that just about any kind of meat tastes better when cooked over an open flame. My old roommate, Chuck, is the quintessential grill man, and before he moved out he fired up the grill at least 5 nights a week. Well, since he moved out, I can’t be bothered to grill outside so instead, I use one of those stove top grill pans. Not quite the same, but it works for me.

Sprinkle one side of the burgers with the garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. I don’t use salt because the bacon is salty enough for me, but if you want the extra salt then go for it. Place the burgers, seasoned side down, on the grill pan. Season the other side and cook to desired doneness, flipping once. Ok, here’s where most people I know cringe: I like my beef cooked well done. A sacrilege some might say, but if I’m going to eat it, I want it damn near leather consistency. So for me, after I put the burgers on the grill pan, I cover them to help speed the cooking process as well as keep them from drying out, and cook them for about 4-5 minutes each side. Now, you may be asking why I bothered to press a thumb print into the center of the burger. Here’s why: As the burger is cooking, the juices inside get rockin’ and rollin’, creating steam inside the meat. This creates a bulge in the center of the patty so by creating a dip in the middle of the burger, when it starts to bulge it evens out with the rest of the burger. And you thought I was crazy.

Now here’s the other draw back to being lazy (give me a break… I put in 10 hours at work yesterday and I was tired!) and not going out to the store at the last minute: No hamburger buns. So, what to serve this burger on? In my case, I may not have had any of the traditional burger buns available (and when I do, my first choice would be a soft potato roll), but I did have some whole wheat wraps in the fridge. With a little creative folding, this makes a fantastic burger “bun”… maybe even better than the original because toppings don’t drip or fall off. Maybe I’ll start a new trend in burger construction? Anyway, I melted a slice of white cheddar on my burger and topped it with ketchup and dill pickle chips. While lettuce and tomato would have been my first choice (along with the ketchup and pickles), I was still happy with what I ended up with. They say necessity is the mother of all invention, and that was certainly the case with this burger creation.

(In case you were wondering, I served this burger with some mixed grilled vegs which included eggplant, potatoes, peppers, and zucchini as well as some broccoli topped with shredded parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. If I hadn’t run out, I would have made baked sweet potato fries or chips… ‘cause what’s better with a burger than fries?)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment