Friday, October 2, 2009

Egg McElle Sandwich


Ok, I admit it: I love to stop at McDonald's for breakfast. Considering that their breakfast offerings aren't really the healthiest options and that I either (a) don't have time to stop before work when I'm scheduled for the early shift (6-2), or (b) I'm still sleeping and they're no longer serving breakfast when I work the late shift (2-close), I don't eat there very often. So to satisfy those cravings, I have created my own versions of some of McD's breakfast favorites. Today's version is my answer to the classic Egg McMuffin... with a few tweaks.



Ingredients:

1 egg, fried (I suppose you could scramble or poach an egg, but I just went with the classic fried)
2 slices of Canadian bacon
2 slices of bread (I always have whole grain bread on hand... the kind with lots of nuts/seeds/oats etc. baked right in)
goat cheese (the kind that comes in a log is easier to spread on toast than the usual crumbles I have in the fridge, but you can use any cheese you like)

So keeping it close to the classic version, I had originally considered adding spinach and sun dried tomatoes this morning but in the end, decided to leave off all the frills (but you can add whatever floats your boat). I won't tell you how to fry an egg because I can only assume that if you're reading this, than you have at least some basic skills in the kitchen. I will say that I fried my egg in a small amount of Smart Balance and that I broke the yolk so I could have a bit of yolk with each bite. Meanwhile, I toasted 2 slices of my favorite whole grain bread and in the last moments before the egg was done cooking, I tossed the Canadian bacon into the pan to heat through. To assemble the sandwich: piece of toast, Canadian bacon, fried egg, top with second piece of toast that has been smeared with creamy goat cheese. Serve with iced coffee, and it's the perfect "fast food" before heading out the door.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to eat a couple egg Mc Elle's right now, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete