Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hangover Carbonara


Not that I overindulge on a regular basis, but every once in a while I tip back a few too many and like everyone else, suffer the consequences the next day. Last night, I was challenged by a pitcher of margaritas and had to show it who was boss. So when I was finally able to pry my eyes open this morning, I realized that I was in desperate need of something to soak up the rest of the alcohol swimming in my system… this particular dish is a pretty good stand alone meal to serve for dinner (especially when you have an unexpected dinner guest), but it’s fantastic for a hangover breakfast, especially when served with a side of strong hot coffee and a handful of ibuprofen.


Ingredients:

turkey bacon, diced
olive oil
(I use some oil because the turkey bacon is so lean)
shallot, diced (you can use a regular onion and garlic here, but I wanted to keep the knife work to a minimum)
pasta, cooked al dente (I had some leftover penne in the fridge, but any pasta shape would work… you can also start from scratch and cook the pasta while the sauce is coming together, but with a hangover pounding my head I wanted something fast and easy)
1 egg, beaten (I used my regular Egg Beaters)
splash of heavy cream or milk (I’m not going to lie, all I had was some soy milk on hand and it worked in a pinch but wasn’t my first choice)
Parmesan cheese (the stuff from the green can works just as well, if not better, than fresh grated in this dish)
coarse ground black pepper

(*When fighting the effects of a hangover, drink as much water as possible while in the kitchen gathering food… I think I drank like 4 glasses in the short amount of time it took me to throw this dish together and brew a pot of coffee.)

In a large sauté pan, toss the turkey bacon with the olive oil over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes before adding the shallot. Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the shallot is softened and the bacon is starting to crisp. Toss in the cooked pasta and stir to combine. (If your brain is actually functioning and not just running on autopilot, you might want to add some frozen green peas to the pan as well at this point.) Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together the beaten egg or Egg Beaters, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Turn off the heat before stirring the egg mixture into the pasta. The residual heat from the pan and the hot pasta will cook the egg mixture without scrambling it. If you’re like me and don’t remove the pan from the heat soon enough, it will be a little too hot and start to scramble the egg, but whatever. It still tastes just as good with little bits of scrambled egg in the otherwise creamy sauce that clings to the pasta. Finish with another sprinkle of Parmesan and black pepper.

Enjoy! (quietly, please)

1 comment:

  1. Elle, I need it Sunday Morning!

    Thanks, Secretia (Secret Story Time)

    ReplyDelete